Sunday, March 18, 2012

march photo challenge: design & build

 Today's prompts are Design & Build

Our house is a disaster. Full of unfinished projects and rooms that look like we just moved in even though we have lived here for 3 1/2 years. I think our dining room is the worst right now. One of the projects I am trying to do is get some curtains up. We have one big window that takes up almost the whole wall and it's naked! I have been searching for curtains I like for 3 1/2 years and just can't find them. I did find one, but it ended up being discontinued and there weren't enough panels. I even called around to all the stores in the area and no one had any more. So now I have decided to find some fabric and make my own. I have narrowed it down to 2 designs.


















Which do you like?



 Our dining room used to look worse because there wasn't much furniture in it. I had a table, chairs and a china cabinet. The room needed more. I needed something for each side of the big window.

My Nana just moved out of her big house into a small condo. The house used to be filled with family, but now everyone has moved out and my Poppy died 2 years ago. The house was just too big. There were a lot of things she couldn't fit into the condo so she sold a lot and the special pieces she gave to family. I got one of the most special pieces. A Grandfather clock.




















What makes this so special is that my Poppy built it. The wood was in pieces and rough cut. All the brass pieces and clock parts were in a kit. He was put on rest after his first heart attack 31 years ago so he decided to build this to keep busy. He sanded and stained all the wood and put every piece together.

It is hard to see inside, I should have taken a pic with the door open. It runs by 3 brass weights. The big brass pendulum is beautiful swinging back and forth and the 6 brass chimes make a beautiful sound. It also keeps track of the moon phases. I grew up listening to the tick and chime and not that it is in my house...you have no idea how much it means to me.

9 comments:

  1. So cool! I love family heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love grandfather clocks. How lucky you are that you got it.

    I'm with you on the curtain situation. I spend the morning looking on Pinterest because I've given up and will make mine too. Both fabrics are really nice...I like the one on the right a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is this?! My grandfather ALSO built a clock similar to this one that now stands in my parents house!

    As for the curtains I am so proud of you for making them! I really like the more aqua toned fabric. I think that rick aqua/teal color with the dark wood of the clock will make the wood grain "pop" more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric on the right! I'm a sucker for aqua! Beautiful clock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful clock and I love the fabric on the right. Warm toned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the fabric on the right! Good luck with those curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The one on the right looks like a cool texture and that's what I'm drawn to. Those are my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Slynn... I think texture is important in picking out fabrics, so my fave is the one on the right too.

    Absolutely adore the Grandfather clock! It is such a beautiful heirloom and so amazing that your grandfather built it himself! Definitely deserves a place of honor in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, love the one on the right. The texture is great, the colour is lovely and the pattern is gorgeous.

    And that clock, what a beautiful thing to have passed down. Really special.

    ReplyDelete

It is always exciting finding new comments! I really love knowing you were here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...